Wednesday 7 April 2010

The Delicious Miss Dahl

I like cookery programs. I like Masterchef's game show element. I like the Jamie Oliver's food (it's nice - in Jamie's Italian in Cardiff you can get 'Chicken Under A Brick' apparently!) and I LOVE the new cookery show starring Roald's granddaughter, The Delicious Miss Dahl (BBC2).

It's not the most ground-breaking of shows; it has a charm though. Something nice about it. And despite not giving a shit who she actually is, Sophie Dahl is a welcoming and watchable host. She's pretty - yes - but it's all about her enthusiasm in this. She regularly brings her Grandmother's influences into the conversation... It's a really homely show. Calming. And interesting.

Okay, chances are it's not her kitchen. It's probably a set slapped together to sell her book! But that's okay! The series is nice! It's put together in themes. So far Sophie's cooked a selfish day's food, a romantic meal and a nostalgic lunch. And I've watched each one on transmission. See? I like it! There is a feeling of "Jamie At Home" to the whole thing, but whereas Jamie competently dices home-grown ingredients to a professionally rustic finish, Sophie self-consciously slices bought ingredients and makes food like a human being would. Simple, effective and delicious. Hence the title. And there's a killer soundtrack running through the series too. I'd buy it if it were to be released on CD.

If you haven't seen it, have a look... Tuesdays on BBC2 at 8.30pm. It's something and nothing, but the something in it really hangs about. I love it, beyond all expectations. I'm sure you will too.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree (no, I do). We all know it's fabricated, but so what? I love it like a warm cuddle and the soundtrack is superb.

    ReplyDelete